Worcester Resources.org Banner Image. A View of the Worcester Skyline.
Skip Navigation Link
This image labels the drop down menu that is used to navigate to different Types of Assistance   Housing Programs Click this button to view a site map of the entire site Click this button to perform a keyword search on the entire site
AutoTranslate: Español
Homeownership Programs
Section 8, MRVP, AHVP Vouchers
Privately Owned Affordable Housing
Public Housing
Foreclosure Prevention
Homelessness Programs
Supportive Housing & Long-Term Care
Household Goods & Services
  Glossary of Terms

Section 8, MRVP, AHVP
Tenant-based Vouchers

For more information, see Tenant-Based Vouchers on MassResources.org.

What are tenant-based vouchers?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, the Massachusetts Housing Voucher Program (MHVP), and the Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP) provide tenant-based rent vouchers that let people choose their own housing anywhere they want to live. Families with tenant-based vouchers can choose any apartment they want, as long as the rent is reasonable and the unit is safe and clean. If the family moves, the rental assistance goes with them.

Am I eligible?

Section 8, MRVP, and AHVP rent vouchers are for households with limited incomes. People of any age can get Section 8 or MRVP vouchers, but the AHVP is only for people under age 60 who are disabled. For Section 8, only certain categories of noncitizens are eligible. See Can noncitizens get rent vouchers? on MassResources.org. There are no immigration status requirements for MRVP and AHVP.

What are the income limits?

Eligibility Check

The MassResources.org Rental Assistance Eligibility Check is an easy way for you to find out if you are likely to qualify for rental assistance. After you answer a set of questions about your family, your living situation, your income, and your expenses, you will see the results of the eligibility check right away, on your computer screen.

What rent will I pay?

Households with Section 8, MRVP, or AHVP vouchers pay about 30% of their net monthly income for rent. For details, see What rent will I pay? on MassResources.org.

How do I apply?

The Worcester Housing Authority (WHA) and RCAP Solutions, a regional non-profit housing agency, accept applications for tenant-based vouchers from Worcester-area residents. The WHA issues local Section 8, MRVP, and AHVP vouchers. RCAP Solutions issues Section 8 vouchers from the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). The waiting lists for vouchers are usually long.

  • Section 8 - Worcester Housing Authority: The Worcester Housing Authority uses the Section 8 voucher centralized waiting list for local vouchers. To add your name to the waiting list, you should fill out the Centralized Waiting List Pre-Application and mail or bring it to the Worcester Housing Authority. You can call the WHA to get an application, or you can download a copy of the application from the MassNAHRO web site:

    Worcester Housing Authority (WHA)
    40 Belmont Street
    Worcester, MA 01605
    Phone: 508-635-3000

    Pre-Application: Section 8 Centralized Waiting List Pre-Application (PDF)

    The Worcester Housing Authority has these local preferences for its Section 8 vouchers:

    • People who live or work in Worcester
    • Veterans or families of deceased veterans if the death was service related
    • People who are homeless or living in substandard housing
    • People forced to move from their homes through no fault of their own
  • Section 8 - RCAP Solutions: To apply for DHCD Section 8 vouchers, you must complete the DHCD Section 8 Pre-Application and send it to RCAP Solutions:

    RCAP Solutions
    205 School Street, PO Box 159
    Gardner, MA 01440
    Toll-free: 1-800-488-1969

    Pre-Application: Pre-Application for DHCD's Section 8 Voucher Program (PDF)
    RCAP Solutions also has a satellite office at 90 Madison Street, Suite 303, Worcester, MA 01608, telephone 508-792-5230.

  • MRVP and AHVP - Worcester Housing Authority: Due to limited funding, very few MHVP and AHVP vouchers are available and waiting lists may be closed. Call the Worcester Housing Authority at 508-635-3000 to see if they are accepting applications. You can get an application from the WHA, or you can download an application from the DHCD web site:

    MRVP/AHVP Application: Universal Standard Application and Information for State-Aided Housing (Word format)

For documentation requirements, other ways to apply, recertification policies, and how to appeal, see How do I apply? on MassResources.org.

Family Self-Sufficiency Program

The Family Self-Sufficiency Program is a voluntary five-year program for families with Section 8 vouchers. The program helps families become financially independent through education and job training. The program also helps families save money for a house, a car, college, or any other purpose. For details, see Family Self-Sufficiency Program on MassResources.org.

Landlord's Guide

The MassResources.org Landlord's Guide to Section 8 explains the procedure landlords must follow when renting to Section 8 tenants. The Landlord's Guide includes information about Section 8 rules and forms, tenant screening, leases, security deposits, inspections, rents, and evictions.

More information

More information about Section 8, MRVP, and AHVP Tenant-Based Vouchers is on our statewide web site, MassResources.org. When you click on the link below, you will go to MassResources.org. Click "Back" on your browser to return to WorcesterResources.org.

•  Go to Tenant-Based Vouchers on MassResources.org

  Top of Page  |  Home Page  |  Printer-friendly Version 

Search  |  Site Map  |  How to Use this Web Site  |  Contact Us  |  GuestBook

  © Copyright 2001 - 2015 Community Resources Information, Inc.